[LLVMdev] [RFC] Raise minimum required CMake version to 3.0

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Mar 10 15:10:53 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com> wrote:

> At the same time, I suggest taking into account the overhead/difficulty of
> installing a dependency (cmake or another) on a platform. For instance in
> this case rebuilding from source is not the only option, there is at least
> this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~george-edison55/+archive/ubuntu/cmake-3.x that
> provides cmake 3.0.2 on trusty.

I generally agree that we should consider generally how easy it is to get a
package, regardless of whether it is built from source or not. However, for
lots of folks an arbitrary PPA may viable for security reasons.

Anyways, this is all speculative. i'd rather discuss this with a concrete
proposal to bump the version up, what we get in exchange for that, and the
implications it has on folks.