[LLVMdev] [RFC] Raise minimum required CMake version to 3.0

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Mar 10 14:53:51 PDT 2015

On 10 March 2015 at 21:30, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:
> In the absence of specific features which would make our use of CMake
> significantly better, I'm inclined to stick roughly to the version of CMake
> in the latest LTS release of ubuntu (I don't know the stable releases of
> debian well enough to cite it, but likely the same applies).

2.8.12.2 seems to be the common minimum version.

Another thing to consider is the impact of CMake changes on buildbots.
It may not be possible to migrate all buildbots to newer versions, for
instance, Ubuntu is still stuck with 2.8.12.2 I think, but Debian
Jesse is already on 3.0.2 and Arch Linux on 3.1.3.

The "advanced" features I want from CMake are:
 * use pool = console (available in 3.0) to get rid of our ugly hack
due to short timeouts
 * specify -DCMAKE_NINJA_LINK_POOL=2 so we can build on
multi-core/low-mem environments (or distcc).

I don't think the second is even on the drawing board, though I
remember having suggested it a few years back.

None of them would make the life of a new developer easier, though... :)

cheers,
--renato