[LLVMdev] GVN PRE algorithms in LLVM

Daniel Berlin dberlin at dberlin.org
Tue Mar 10 09:20:21 PDT 2015

The GVN algorithm used in LLVM currently (I'm rewriting it) is the basic
hash based RPO algorithm.
The new one i'm writing is based on http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=512536
(see https://github.com/dberlin/llvm-gvn-rewrite)

LLVM has different algorithms for both scalar PRE and load PRE.

They are basically variants of standard PRE algorithms transformed into
SSA, but with some deliberate limitations made as implementation speed/code
size trade offs.

At some point, i plan on implement reimplementing GVNPRE that will handle
both scalars and loads (as GCC's does)

If you have interest in working on stuff, i'm happy to chat/help point out
whatever I can. Depends on what you want to do.