[LLVMdev] LLVM Parallel IR

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Tue Mar 10 05:45:46 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

Part of the issue here is that the benefit to IR features vs. enhancing LLVM (TLI, BasicAA, etc.) to understand more about the semantics of the runtime calls is not clear. To play devil's advocate;

 - Currently, runtime calls interfere with optimizations such as LICM because of the conservative answer BasicAA must provide about unknown external functions, however, BasicAA has knowledge of certain external function calls, and some knowledge of these could be added.

 - We'd like to perform some optimizations, such as duplicate barrier removal. However, an optimization can recognize consecutive calls to a barrier runtime library function pretty easily -- we don't need special IR features for that, perhaps only a good abstraction layer if we support different runtimes.

 -Hal