[LLVMdev] TargetParser - Always build all table-gen files?

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Mon Mar 9 05:02:00 PDT 2015

Hi Folks,

I'm back looking at the target parser that we discussed last year, and
I have some questions.

http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-dev/2014-August/038699.html

There is no way I can create a target-independent parser in lib/Target
without re-encoding all the information about the targets that we
already have in the table-gen files on all targets' directories. Doing
that would be folly.

But building all targets by default goes against the current thinking,
which I quite welcome and think we should not break it. We need to
find a common ground.

My idea is to build all table-gen files on all targets, but not build
all targets' files and not include them in the final libraries /
binaries. Since the table-gen'ed files don't end up there by
themselves, only what we use from them (in the target parser) will be
included in the final binaries.

Does that sound like a good idea? If so, how would one go about doing
that? I'm guessing it's a change solely in CMake files, and could be
done independently of the target parser implementation, right?

cheers,
--renato