[LLVMdev] A limitation of LLVM with regard to marking sret functions as readonly.

Nicholas Chapman admin at indigorenderer.com
Mon Mar 9 03:10:34 PDT 2015

On 08/03/2015 18:07, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Nicholas Chapman
> <admin at indigorenderer.com <mailto:admin at indigorenderer.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>     I have identified what seems to be a limitation of LLVM with
>     regard to marking 'sret functions' as pure/readonly.
>
>     For some context - I have some JITed code produced by LLVM, and
>     that code calls back into the host application occasionally.
>     Since my language is purely functional, no functions have
>     side-effects.  Therefore I would like to be able to cache the
>     value of identical calls back into the host application, e.g.
>     if f is a function exported by the host application,
>     f(1) + f(1)
>     should only call f(1) once, then cache and reuse the value instead
>     of making a second call.
>
>     The problem is is that some of the exported functions need to
>     return structures.  As such a pointer to the returned structure is
>     passed as the first argument and marked with the sret attribute.
>     However due to this, that function can no longer be marked with
>     the 'readonly' attribute (as it needs to write to the returned
>     structure).  (I tried marking the function as readonly anyway and
>     the function is incorrectly compiled to 'ret void' or similar)
>
>     There seems to be a similar problem with C++ code:
>
>     ------------------------------------
>     class s
>     {
>       public:
>       float x;
>       float y;
>     };
>
>     extern s g(void* env)  __attribute__ ((pure));
>

>     float func(float x, void* env)
>     {
>       return g(env).x + g(env).x;
>     }
>     ------------------------------------
>
>     Compiles the function 'func' to just make a single call to g.
>     Note that 's' is returned directly instead of being converted into
>     an SRET arg, due to the small size of the class 's'.  See
>     http://goo.gl/ezXxrI
>
>     If we make the class bigger, so it gets returned by SRET:
>
>     ----------------------------------
>     class s
>     {
>       public:
>       float x;
>       float y;
>
>       int a;
>       int b;
>       int c;
>     };
>
>     extern s g(void* env)  __attribute__ ((pure));
>

>     float func(float x, void* env)
>     {
>       return g(env).x + g(env).x;
>     }
>     ---------------------------------
>
>     Then LLVM compiles 'func' to have 2 calls to g, and g is no longer
>     marked as 'readonly'  See http://goo.gl/YW0n3V
>
> You mean clang does.
> Because it is clang that is turning off the attributes, deliberately
> (CGCall.cpp)

> [...]
Hi Daniel,
I think modifying the semantics of readonly would make more sense than
introducing a new attribute called readonly_except_for_sret.
As it stands, readonly is completely useless for sret functions.  It
can't be applied to them or the function is not compiled correctly.
(Which is reasonable given the current readonly semantics)
I think the best approach would be to modify the readonly semantics,
then update optimisation passes to respect the new semantics.

I had a look at SVN blame for the CGCall.cpp code, it wasn't very
enlightening however as the last changes were just 'no functional
change' commits.  I'm not super keen to dig back further, when the
purpose of the code seems fairly obvious - without stripping the
readonly attribute, sret functions will miscompile.

I'm not (currently) volunteering to do the work for this in LLVM - I'm
just bringing the issue to the attention of the community.

Thanks,
     Nick