[LLVMdev] Optimizing out redundant alloca involving byval params

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Thu Mar 5 16:39:55 PST 2015

Reid is right that this would go in memcpyopt, but... we there's an
active discussion on the commit list which will solve this through a
different mechanism.  There's an active desire to avoid teaching GVN and
related pieces (of which memcpyopt is one) about first class
aggregates.  We don't have enough active users of the feature to justify
and maintain the complexity.

If you haven't already seen it, this background may help:
http://llvm.org/docs/Frontend/PerformanceTips.html#avoid-loads-and-stores-of-large-aggregate-type

The current proposal is to convert such aggregate loads and stores into
their component pieces.  If that happens, you're example should come
"for free" provided that the same example works when you break down the
FCA into it's component pieces.  If it doesn't, please say so.

Philip