[LLVMdev] RFC: Loop versioning for LICM

Nema, Ashutosh Ashutosh.Nema at amd.com
Tue Mar 3 21:28:23 PST 2015

Thanks Philip for looking into LoopVersioning.

> It's not clear to me whether you're proposing a new pass, or extending LICM

It's a new pass, and we are not changing existing LICM functionality.

LoopVersioning is a memory check based multi versioning optimization. It will creates version
of the loop with aggressive alias and the other with conservative (default) alias. Aggressive
alias version of loop will have all the memory access marked as no-alias. Because of aggressive
aliasing, alias analysis will be sure about memory accesses and it will mark no-alias for all memory
accesses in alias sets. This will help some of the optimization to proceed further. One case is LICM
PromoteAliasSets (recently refactored as promoteLoopAccessesToScalars).
Post multi versioning in same pass we are planning to call "promoteLoopAccessesToScalars"
on aggressive alias versioned loop.

> In particular, I'm concerned about the code size increase that can result from
> recursive application of loop versioning.
> I think this is an interesting idea, but the profitability heuristics will need to be
> incredibly carefully tuned.

We are also concerned about profitability heuristics, and we are trying to minimize the
negative impact of this pass. Code size increase is a concern, but we are planning to touch
the cases where gain by this optimization will be good enough to justify. For now we made
this pass optional.

Profitability analysis contains basic loop structure analysis, loop instructions analysis and
loop memory access analysis. We are also trying to ensure the new versioned loop will get
benefit by LICM. Apart from this there are few thresholds:
1) Maximum loop nest threshold allowed is 2(Planning to make this configurable).
2) Maximum number of pointers threshold in memcheck allowed is 5(Planning to make this configurable).

I understand profitability plays a vital role here, in current implementation checks added may not
be enough for a right profitability analysis. Accepting a possible scope of improvement, as suggested will
look into Sanjoy work for IRCE.

> I have not really looked at it, but one high level comment.  You've got a couple of really long
> functions that need to be broken up into semantic pieces.  Reviewing in the current form would be hard.
At this point I'm not expecting a formal review, just emphasizing on the functionality as a part of RFC.
Sure will split out long functions.

Regards,
Ashutosh