[LLVMdev] [RFC] March Update: Progress report on CMake build system's ability to replace autoconf

Chris Bieneman beanz at apple.com
Tue Mar 3 15:10:49 PST 2015

There has been a lot of progress since I first sent out an email recapping the status of replacing autoconf, so I thought I’d send an update.

Completed:
* Bug 15493 - No option to build shared libLLVM-version.so in CMake
* Bug 12157 - llvmconfig.cmake.in make cmake installations not relocatable
* Bug 18722 - Option to use CMake with libc++ to compile clang
* Bug 21560 - Add support to cmake for using installed versions of LLVM and Clang
* Bug 21569 - Can't `make install prefix=/tmp/llvm' with CMake.
* Bug 21570 - Cannot set default configuration options for CMake

Still Outstanding:

* Bug 14109 - CMake build for compiler-rt should use just-built clang
 - Looks like there are still some small issues here, but it is further along than expected

* Bug 18496 - [cmake] .S assembly files not compiled by cmake in libclang_rt.ARCH
 - Unclear if this is still a problem

* Bug 19462 - Use the INSTALL(EXPORT ...) to export CMake definitions
 - Patches out for review http://reviews.llvm.org/D7623 <http://reviews.llvm.org/D7623> - there are comments in the bug that I’ll update the patches to reflect

* Bug 19875 - libraries and executables need different rpaths
 - No Update: Still outstanding, I don't think this is a blocker.

* Bug 21561 - Update release scripts to use CMake
 - No Update: Still outstanding and blocking removal of autoconf

* Bug 21562 - Add a CMake equivalent for make/platform/clang_darwin.mk in compiler_rt
 - No Update: From discussions on llvm-dev and IRC the proper fix for this is a cross-compiling approach for compiler_rt builds, and this is a blocker.

* Bug 21568 - Cannot add rpath
 - It looks like this is not a blocker because it can be done, but is unwieldy. I think this may be made a lot easier with help from the CMake developers.

Other issues not tracked by bugs:

* FreeBSD seemed to have problems with CMake identifying itself as amd64 causing x86_64 tests to fail
* Migrating buildbots
* We need to make sure libc++ works properly on Darwin
* Update GettingStarted to prefer CMake
 - Patches out for review http://reviews.llvm.org/D8046 <http://reviews.llvm.org/D8046>

* Put together a “cheat sheet” document for transitioning
 - If you have an autoconf workflow you’d like to see in the cheat sheet please send your commands my way and I‘ll assemble the cheat sheet.

If there is anything I’m missing please let me know. Thanks,

-Chris