[LLVMdev] RFC: Loop versioning for LICM

Nema, Ashutosh Ashutosh.Nema at amd.com
Tue Mar 3 01:29:01 PST 2015

Hi Adam,

Thanks for looking into LoopVersioning work.

I have gone through recent LoopAccessAnalysis changes and found some of the stuff
overlaps (i.e. runtime memory check, loop access analysis etc.).  LoopVersioning can
use some of the things from LAA.

LoopVersioning is a memory check based multi versioning optimization, it simply creates
aggressive alias version of loop preceded by a memory check. It’s not concerned about
the order of instructions and detailed dependency check that LoopVectorizer does.
It does some basic loop structure check, loop instruction checks & memory checks.

In general found LAA work is more inclined towards LoopVectorizer.
Found some of the possible reusable functions are biased towards LoopVectorizer,
they has specific condition checks for it.

It’s good to make some of the classes & function more generic and reusable.
Will be covering some of the points in this mail.

RuntimeCheckEmitter
“RuntimeCheckEmitter::addRuntimeCheck”
While creating runtime check I have found, some of the things are not getting considered.
1) No need to check if two read only pointers intersect.
2) Only need to check pointers between two different dependency sets.
3) Only need to check pointers in the same alias set

I’m sure if we like this to be used by other optimization then not all optimization appreciate
above checks. Specifically LoopVersioning does not care about this, it expects all the pointers
in a loop should be considered for a memory check. Also it does not care about different
dependency set & different alias sets.

I suggest we can make these checks optional, and give flexibility to users of this class to set it.

For the same suggesting following change:
1)
class RuntimeCheckEmitter {
   …………
   …………
  /// Consider readonly pointer intersection in memcheck
  bool CheckReadOnlyPointersIntersection;
  /// Consider pointers in same dependency sets for memcheck.
  bool CheckPointersInSameDependencySet;
  /// Consider pointers in different Alias sets for memcheck
  bool CheckPointersInDifferentAliasSet

Add the above 3 variables to class, and allow users of this class to set it.

2)
In "RuntimeCheckEmitter::addRuntimeCheck" following 3 condition needs to
controlled by above conditional variables.

a>
   Change Following Check:
      // No need to check if two readonly pointers intersect.
      if (!PtrRtCheck->IsWritePtr[i] && !PtrRtCheck->IsWritePtr[j])
        continue;
   To:
      // No need to check if two readonly pointers intersect.
      if (!CheckReadOnlyPointersIntersection && !PtrRtCheck->IsWritePtr[i] &&
            !PtrRtCheck->IsWritePtr[j])
        continue;

b>
   Change Following Check:
      // Only need to check pointers between two different dependency sets.
      if (PtrRtCheck->DependencySetId[i] == PtrRtCheck->DependencySetId[j])
       continue;
   To:
      // Only need to check pointers between two different dependency sets.
      if (!CheckPointersInSameDependencySet &&
             PtrRtCheck->DependencySetId[i] == PtrRtCheck->DependencySetId[j])
       continue;

c>
   Change Following Check:
      // Only need to check pointers in the same alias set.
      if (PtrRtCheck->AliasSetId[i] != PtrRtCheck->AliasSetId[j])
        continue;
   To:
      // Only need to check pointers in the same alias set.
      if (!CheckPointersInDifferentAliasSet &&
            PtrRtCheck->AliasSetId[i] != PtrRtCheck->AliasSetId[j])
        continue;

By this we allowing RuntimeCheckEmitter as more flexible and providing user
more control to use it.

LoopAccessAnalysis::analyzeLoop
Here again its very specific to LoopVectorizer.
The way it handles stores & loads may not be appreciated by other optimization
expecting other treatment. I suggest we should think on flexibility for user to
override load & store handling. We can provide virtual methods for load & store
handling (i.e. analyzeLoads & analyzeStores). Also some of the optimization may not
like call instruction, or further they like to analyze call. We should also think on those
lines to make some provision.

AccessAnalysis & LoopAccessAnalysis are tied up dependency check, If some analysis
needs same functionality except dependency check then there should be provision available.
i.e. LoopVersioning needs similar stuff except dependency analysis, for now possibility is
extend & rewrite functions by removing dependency checks.

Regards,
Ashutosh