[LLVMdev] [RFC] Improving the testing of exported LLVM CMake targets

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 15:53:10 PDT 2015

Dan Liew wrote:

> I'd like to do that but I worry about downstream projects that rely
> directly on target names instead of using the
> llvm_map_components_to_libnames() function. Would using aliases like
> ``add_library(LLVMSuport ALIAS llvm::Support)`` be sufficient to not
> break downstream projects?

An IMPORTED target may not have an ALIAS. The solution might rather be to
generate and import two sets of targets. You would need to decide what your
deprecation strategy is for the old targets, and how much source
compatibility is needed. Making this change in the future is not going to be
easier than it is now.

Thanks,

Steve.