[LLVMdev] Proposal: REST and Ajax in LNT

Chris Matthews chris.matthews at apple.com
Tue Jun 30 14:44:03 PDT 2015

I don’t want to block progress on this because of a bug on the llvm.org <http://llvm.org/> LNT server.  That just needs to be fixed.

I don’t think the issues of scale are a problem with LNT inheriently.  We run a private LNT server instance on smaller hardware that is running 5X the amount of work the llvm.org server is.  It has very good uptime and no request failures, in fact I would say it could still handle 10x the load it is running at right now, maybe even 20x.  In the past we have had issues with bad workloads breaking the server, and if you sit down and have access to the logs and the running server it take almost no time to sort the issue out.  The llvm.org <http://llvm.org/> LNT server has a bug with long running requests, and that needs to be fixed.

I agree that we should be careful with the queries and number of requests.  But I think in the long run this would provide a net win. We can start to build interfaces that don’ t need to pull as much data out of the database. Lots of short fast requests.  In LNT we have consistently made the tradeoff of presenting all the data, since breaking up requests requires far more complicated interface design.  With these apis, we can start to undo that mess!