[LLVMdev] Deriving undefined behavior from nsw/inbounds/poison for scalar evolution

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Tue Jun 30 14:30:33 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

My understanding is that SCEV currently only uses no-wrap flags that it can independently prove, in part, because SCEVExpander might be used to materialize the expressions outside of the loop body (in the pre-header, for example). Andy, can you comment on the constraints here?

 -Hal

> What do you think? Do we already have something similar to this?
>

> Bjarke
>

> *** PS: What got me thinking about this:
> My immediate motivation is that I'd like LSR to be able to create
> induction variables for expressions like &ptr[i + offset] where i
> and offset are 32 bit integers, ptr is a loop-invariant 64 bit
> pointer, i is an induction variable and offset is loop-invariant.
> For that to happen, scalar evolution needs to propagate the nsw flag
> from i + offset to the scev so that it can transform
>

> ((4 * (sext i32 {%offset,+,1}<nw><%loop> to i64))<nsw> + %ptr)<nsw>

> {((4 * (sext i32 %offset to i64)) + %ptr),+,4}<nsw><%loop>
>

> Currently the inner <nsw> is actually <nw>, which blocks the
> transformation (the outer two nsw's shouldn't currently be there
> either, as it's the same issue for inbounds on GEP: see llvm bug
> 23527)

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist
Leadership Computing Facility