[LLVMdev] ORC and relocations

Eugene Rozenfeld Eugene.Rozenfeld at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 29 19:31:29 PDT 2015

Hi Lang,

Yes, I can return a non-zero marker value. Are you ok with this version?

void RuntimeDyldImpl::resolveExternalSymbols() {
  while (!ExternalSymbolRelocations.empty()) {
    StringMap<RelocationList>::iterator i = ExternalSymbolRelocations.begin();

    StringRef Name = i->first();
    if (Name.size() == 0) {
      // This is an absolute symbol, use an address of zero.
      DEBUG(dbgs() << "Resolving absolute relocations."
                   << "\n");
      RelocationList &Relocs = i->second;
      resolveRelocationList(Relocs, 0);
    } else {
      uint64_t Addr = 0;
      RTDyldSymbolTable::const_iterator Loc = GlobalSymbolTable.find(Name);
      if (Loc == GlobalSymbolTable.end()) {
        // This is an external symbol, try to get its address from the symbol
        // resolver.
        Addr = Resolver.findSymbol(Name.data()).getAddress();
        // The call to getSymbolAddress may have caused additional modules to
        // be loaded, which may have added new entries to the
        // ExternalSymbolRelocations map.  Consquently, we need to update our
        // iterator.  This is also why retrieval of the relocation list
        // associated with this symbol is deferred until below this point.
        // New entries may have been added to the relocation list.
        i = ExternalSymbolRelocations.find(Name);
      } else {
        // We found the symbol in our global table.  It was probably in a
        // Module that we loaded previously.
        const auto &SymInfo = Loc->second;
        Addr = getSectionLoadAddress(SymInfo.getSectionID()) +
               SymInfo.getOffset();
      }

      // FIXME: Implement error handling that doesn't kill the host program!
      if (!Addr) {
        report_fatal_error("Program used external function '" + Name +
                           "' which could not be resolved!");
      }

      // If Resolver returned UINT64_MAX, the client wants to handle this symbol

      // manually and we shouldn't resolve its relocations.
      if (Addr != UINT64_MAX) {
        DEBUG(dbgs() << "Resolving relocations Name: " << Name << "\t"
          << format("0x%lx", Addr) << "\n");
        // This list may have been updated when we called getSymbolAddress, so
        // don't change this code to get the list earlier.
        RelocationList &Relocs = i->second;
        resolveRelocationList(Relocs, Addr);
      }
    }

    ExternalSymbolRelocations.erase(i);
  }
}

Thanks,

Eugene

Returning null addresses to the linker is unusual enough that I'd prefer to keep it as an error.

Could you return a non-zero marker value, e.g. all-ones? If not, we should add an option to RuntimeDyld like "AllowUnresolvedSymbols" and change the error condition to if '(!Addr && !AllowUnresolvedSymbols)'.

Cheers,
Lang.

Can you please let me know you think it would be right to modify RuntimeDyldImpl::resolveExternalSymbols to allow resolvers to return 0 addresses? Something like this would be ideal for me: