[LLVMdev] readonly and infinite loops

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Sun Jun 28 06:27:56 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

I can't comment about the rationale in 2010, but this came up again when I was originally working on heap-to-stack conversion. Being able to mark functions as halting is essential for doing heap-to-stack conversion. This was put on hold, however, essentially awaiting the new pass manager. The issue is that you'd like to be able to use SCEV in a module/CGSCC-level pass to infer the attribute on functions with loops, and this cannot be done directly until we have the new pass manager.

On the other hand, maybe we don't need to wait for that now. We now also have a scheme for tagging loops with metadata, and we could use that to add metadata to loops known to have a finite trip count, and then use that metadata in a pass that infers the attribute (FunctionAttrs presumably).

 -Hal

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist
Leadership Computing Facility