[LLVMdev] [RFC] Proposal for Adding SPIRV Target

Mehdi Amini mehdi.amini at apple.com
Wed Jun 17 09:43:06 PDT 2015

Hi Liu,

Thanks for the detailed proposal.

> On Jun 17, 2015, at 5:44 AM, Liu, Yaxun (Sam) <Yaxun.Liu at amd.com> wrote:
>
> Here is the revised proposal for the LLVM/SPIR-V converter. Please comment. Thanks.
>
> Proposal of Adding SPIRV Target
>
> Background
>
> SPIR-V is a portable binary format for OpenCL kernels and GLSL shaders. A typical use case of SPIR-V is as follows:
>
> 1.      An application developer uses Clang to compile an OpenCL kernel source code to a SPIR-V binary which is common for all OpenCL platforms.
> 2.      The application developer ships the application containing the SPIR-V binary to customers.
> 3.      A customer runs the application on an OpenCL platform, which loads the SPIR-V binary through an OpenCL API function.
> 4.      The vendor-specific OpenCL runtime translates SPIR-V to LLVM IR, changes the target triple and data layout to suit the device which will execute the kernel, performs target specific optimizations, generates the ISA and executes the ISA on the device.

Step 4 of your “typical use case” includes "changes the target triple and data layout to suit the device which will execute the kernel”. It implies that SPIR-V is data layout agnostic since you can load it with any data layout, or there are (to be specified) constraint on what a “compatible” data layout is, or you considered that it is up to the OpenCL vendor to figure out what will work or not, with the drawback that any LLVM update can break its use case.

> For OpenCL kernels, there is implicit data layout dependence when compiling the source to LLVM. Since SPIR-V is for common OpenCL platforms, a common data layout accepted by different OpenCL vendors is required. We choose the data layout which has been adopted by SPIR 1.2/2.0 for SPIR-V, since it has been successfully used for supporting consumption of SPIR 1.2/2.0 on various OpenCL platforms. For GLSL shaders, it is still under discussion whether to choose the same data layout as OpenCL, or a different data layout, or no data layout at all.
>
> Location
>
> From feedback of the previous version of the proposal, there are several suggestions about the location for the LLVM/SPIR-V converter:
>
> 1.      llvm/lib/SPIRV only, adding an option to Clang for outputting SPIR-V. The advantage is ease of use for bi-way translation. However it does not reflect the fact that only LLVM IR with specific target triple and data layout can be translated to SPIR-V.

How important is it to “reflect it”?
The SPIR-V emitter could just assert on the data layout matching what is expected.

> 2.      llvm/lib/SPIRV containing the main functionality of bi-way translation between LLVM IR and SPIR-V, llvm/lib/Target/SPIRV containing a thin wrapper as a target machine to allow Clang targeting SPIR-V. The advantage compared with 1 is that it allows a more conventional way of using Clang to produce SPIR-V. However it is subject to the same issue as 1 about not reflecting the requirement on the LLVM IR which can be translated to SPIR-V.

I don’t see why you think there is an issue on the data layout in this case. Currently every target in LLVM has an expected data layout, and if the IR has been processed with a different data layout than what the target expect, it may or may not work.
I believe your “thin wrapper” in llvm/lib/Target/SPIRV would declare a triple and data layout and then makes this requirement explicit.
This looks like the cleaner solution to me, I’m not sure I understand why you are more in favor of option 3?

Thanks,

—
Mehdi