[LLVMdev] Supporting heterogeneous computing in llvm.

C Bergström cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Sat Jun 6 04:58:47 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Christos Margiolas
<chrmargiolas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you a lot for the feedback. I believe that the heterogeneous engine
> should be strongly connected with parallelization and vectorization efforts.
> Most of the accelerators are parallel architectures where having efficient
> parallelization and vectorization can be critical for performance.
>
> I am interested in these efforts and I hope that my code can help you
> managing the offloading operations. Your LLVM instruction set extensions may
> require some changes in the analysis code but I think is going to be
> straightforward.
>
> I am planning to push my code on phabricator in the next days.

If you're doing the extracting at the loop and llvm ir level - why
would you need to modify the IR? Wouldn't the target level lowering
happen later?

How are you actually determining to offload? Is this tied to
directives or using heuristics+some set of restrictions?

Lastly, are you handling 2 targets in the same module or end up
emitting 2 modules and dealing with recombining things later..