[LLVMdev] LLD use cases and design meeting and discussion

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri Jun 5 21:51:22 PDT 2015

> It would have been nice to know in advance about this, but alas.

Sorry, it was informally organized by a few people around specific side
conversations. We knew that some folks who would be very interested weren't
present, and that's why there was nothing *decided*, why I committed to
relay as complete of a summary of the discussion as possible here, and why
every actual change or subsequent step will end up on the mailing list like
any other change.

Please, share any and all thoughts you have on this subject here on the
list. Everyone who was present in person is directly CC-ed to make sure
that those thoughts from folks who happened to not be present are not lost
at all.

FWIW, For the past week I've been working on a rewrite of the ELF
> backend to be chunk based.

This sounds fantastic.

> It's still in a preliminary stage but maybe we should coordinate to
> duplicate effort on this side.

Actually, I don't think this will be duplicated at all. I don't think
anyone has started on the ELF side here, and so this will just get us yet
another data point to examine to understand whether the chunk model is
actually common or specific to certain platforms / feature sets.

-Chandler