[LLVMdev] RFC: liveoncall parameter attribute

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Thu Jun 4 15:46:38 PDT 2015

On 06/01/2015 08:13 PM, Pete Cooper wrote:
> Hey Philip
>
> I have no problem with this but I'm also not experienced enough with patch points to give a formal LGTM or anything like that.
>
> However, I do wonder about another pass impacting calls. I can't remember it's name right now but it's basically IPO SROA. It would be able to take an argument you've tagged here, and if it's a struct, split it in 2.
>
> Can you imagine ever creating a call in your runtime where that would be a problem?
In my specific case, not really.  We break apart all structs into their
component pieces for ABI reasons.  But your point is a good one and is
definitely worth considering in terms of general usage in LLVM.

The challenge here is that the splitting you describe might not be an
optimization.  I'm not sure, but I think there are calling conventions
already in tree that require exactly this type of splitting.  I think
this is currently done in the frontend (clang), but if we wanted to
change that, it would be problematic.

I think we'd need to restrict this to ABI primitive types, but that's
not unreasonable to do.  Definitely something to document though.