[LLVMdev] MCJit interface question

Joseph Tremoulet jotrem at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 4 13:15:47 PDT 2015

> Sounds good. Please let me know how your experiments go. I'm keen to improve the Orc APIs further, so your feedback would be very welcome.

LLILC is using ORC now, and it was a remarkably smooth transition / small change (https://github.com/dotnet/llilc/commit/47513add13980e7a32f9b0ec3d2da3db0911bca2).  The CoreCLR execution engine handles laziness (and symbol resolution) for us, so a straightforward application of IRCompileLayer using SimpleCompiler and ObjectLinkingLayer along the lines of the "initial" orc kaleidoscope example covered our current functionality neatly.

There were just two spots that I found myself writing some boilerplate:

One was in constructing the TargetMachine (to pass to the SimpleCompiler constructor).  With MCJit, the EngineBuilder took care of creating the TargetMachine, and the code to set up the EngineBuilder looked like this:

  std::unique_ptr<Module> M = ..;
  M->setTargetTriple(LLILC_TARGET_TRIPLE);

  EngineBuilder Builder(std::move(M)); // Builder takes ownership of module
  std::string ErrStr;
  Builder.setErrorStr(&ErrStr);
  Builder.setOptLevel(/* value depending on what the CLR EE requests */);
  Builder.setTargetOptions(/* value depending on what the CLR EE requests */);

  ExecutionEngine *NewEngine = Builder.create();

I noticed you used "EngineBuilder().selectTarget()" in the kaleidoscope sample, but I couldn't do exactly that for LLILC since we're threading the triple through the module that the builder wants to own, and also it seemed to make sense that we shouldn't need an EngineBuilder if we're not building an Engine, so I looked at what our Builder had been doing and wound up with this code to instead create the TargetMachine directly:

  std::string ErrStr;
  const llvm::Target *TheTarget =
      TargetRegistry::lookupTarget(LLILC_TARGET_TRIPLE, ErrStr);
  TargetOptions Options = /* value depending on what the CLR EE requests */;
  CodeGenOpt::Level OptLevel = /* value depending on what the CLR EE requests */;
  TargetMachine *TM = TheTarget->createTargetMachine(
      LLILC_TARGET_TRIPLE, "", "", Options, Reloc::Default, CodeModel::Default,
      OptLevel);

This tiny amount of boilerplate that I ended up with for creating the TargetMachine seems entirely reasonable, but going through the exercise and looking at EngineBuilder code (which of course has several more paths than reflected above) made me wonder how much of its logic is for building the TargetMachine and whether pulling it out into a TargetMachineBuilder would be useful to give ORC clients the support that EngineBuilder gives MCJit clients.

The second spot where I needed some code was getting a SymbolResolver to pass to the ObjectLinkingLayer.  In LLILC we actually don't need cross-module symbols resolved because the CoreCLR execution engine resolves them and gives the Jit raw addresses.  So I simply defined a NullResolver like so (I felt it was more readable this way than building an equivalent LambdaResolver):

/// \brief Stub \p SymbolResolver expecting no resolution requests
///
/// The ObjectLinkingLayer takes a SymbolResolver ctor parameter.
/// The CLR EE resolves tokens to addresses for the Jit during IL reading,
/// so no symbol resolution is actually needed at ObjLinking time.
class NullResolver : public llvm::RuntimeDyld::SymbolResolver {
public:
  llvm::RuntimeDyld::SymbolInfo findSymbol(const std::string &Name) final {
    llvm_unreachable("Reader resolves tokens directly to addresses");
  }

  llvm::RuntimeDyld::SymbolInfo
  findSymbolInLogicalDylib(const std::string &Name) final {
    llvm_unreachable("Reader resolves tokens directly to addresses");
  }
};

It occurs to me that if any other ORC clients are in the same boat, they'll need a resolver that look a lot like this, but I think perhaps we're in an unusual boat.

One general comment I have is that I wish it were more easily discoverable what the constraints are on the various template parameters in ORC code, both from the client side (e.g. realizing that SymbolResolverPtrT should be a naked/unique/etc pointer to RuntimeDyld::SymbolResolver or a derived class) and the consumer side (e.g. realizing that an ObjSetHandleT needs to be moved rather than assigned).  The comment on IRCompileLayer mentions that BaseLayerT "must implement the object layer concept", for example, but I wasn't sure what exactly constitutes the object layer concept.  I had to dig into that one, as I went on to implement an object layer to satisfy the CoreCLR's requirements on EH frame reporting that started this thread.  I figured that implementing the methods on ObjectLinkingLayer would be a good bet, but approached it by starting with just addObjectSet and adding method implementations as the compiler complained they were missing.  With that approach, I never did need to implement findSymbolIn, mapSectionAddress, or emitAndFinalize, for reasons I haven't dug in to understand.  The object layer class I produced in this way was itself mostly boilerplate:

class ReserveSpaceLayerT {
public:
  typedef LLILCJit::LoadLayerT::ObjSetHandleT ObjSetHandleT;

  ReserveSpaceLayerT(LLILCJit::LoadLayerT *Loader, llilc::EEMemoryManager *MM) {
    this->Loader = Loader;
    this->MM = MM;
  }

  template <typename ObjSetT, typename MemoryManagerPtrT, typename SymbolResolverPtrT>
  ObjSetHandleT addObjectSet(const ObjSetT &Objects,
                             MemoryManagerPtrT MemMgr,
                             SymbolResolverPtrT Resolver) {
    for (const auto& Obj : Objects) {
      MM->reserveUnwindSpace(*Obj);
    }
    return Loader->addObjectSet(Objects, MemMgr, Resolver);
 }

  void removeObjectSet(ObjSetHandleT H) {
    Loader->removeObjectSet(std::move(H));
  }

  orc::JITSymbol findSymbol(StringRef Name, bool ExportedSymbolsOnly) {
    return Loader->findSymbol(Name, ExportedSymbolsOnly);
  }

  template <typename OwningMBSet>
  void takeOwnershipOfBuffers(ObjSetHandleT H, OwningMBSet MBs) {
    Loader->takeOwnershipOfBuffers(std::move(H), std::move(MBs));
  }

private:
  LLILCJit::LoadLayerT *Loader;
  llilc::EEMemoryManager *MM;
};

I could imagine that abstracting this might make a useful utility -- what I wanted was to call MM->reserveUnwindSpace on each ObjectFile as it passes through, and otherwise forward everything on to the base layer.  Perhaps a LambdaObjectLayer that takes a function<void(const ObjectFile*)> would be appropriate?  Let me know if you'd like to see a patch along those lines; I'm happy to contribute back, but don't have much context on what would be useful for other clients.

Thanks
-Joseph