[LLVMdev] [RFC] Ideas on improving Compiler-RT CMake

Chris Bieneman beanz at apple.com
Wed Jun 3 12:57:44 PDT 2015

> On Jun 2, 2015, at 6:29 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Weird, I'd assumed building compiler-rt with something other than
> >> clang was unsupported.  Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't
> >> the only supported configuration be building with the just-built
> >> clang?
> >

> > The current default for an in-tree build is to build compiler-rt with whatever compiler is being used to build Clang... sometimes that compiler is GCC.
> >
> > I agree though. We should always use the just-built Clang, and have that behavior be opt-out (if folks need it), instead of opt-in as it is now.
>
> What would the build system do for a cross compile of Clang?

This is the big question right? If we decide to only support building compiler-rt with the just-built clang that inherently means that you always have to build a clang that can run on host, so cross-compiling clang means building for host first, then the target.

I don’t think that is the behavior we want.

I suspect the behavior we probably want is to use the just-built clang by default unless you are cross-compiling, in which case use the host compiler.

Whether or not the host compiler needs to be clang, or any version restrictions we want to apply is a separate issue.

-Chris