[LLVMdev] [RFC] Developer Policy for LLVM C API

Eric Christopher echristo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 13:02:04 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 3:45 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 4:12 PM Juergen Ributzka <juergen at apple.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I also misunderstood your original transition proposal in this point. I
>>> agree with Jim that we should keep the current C-API where it is and have a
>>> separate location for the bindings. I envision that we will need the
>>> current C-API and the new stable C-API to overlap for at least one release
>>> cycle to allow a smooth transition without breaking all the clients out
>>> there. Some clients only read the release notes, so this process will take
>>> some time.
>>>

>> I can see that, I don't really agree, but I can see the point. My idea
>> was expanding the existing C API in the current place with no guarantees on
>> it but we don't really change it much right? and then add a stable C API
>> somewhere else as we design a good one. Basically status quo is that after
>> a cycle or two the existing C API in the current location becomes unstable
>> and any stable C API that comes up can be put into a new stable location. I
>> don't see changing the existing C API (i.e. keep the current status quo on
>> the existing directory of API) for the next release cycle at least and we
>> can even put a README in the C API directory to state the policy for the
>> directory going forward.
>>
>> This seems to keep things working for the longest time, we can provide a
>> release note warning that the C API directory is going to be unstable in X
>> release and expand the current directory. This means that current users of
>> it in a bindings sort of way (honestly most users) won't have to migrate
>> and that users that care deeply about stability can migrate to the new APIs
>> as they make it in tree.
>>
>> Does this make sense? Are there any problems with this?
>>

> Jim's idea of keeping the current one as the stable one (since those users
> are least amenable to changing their library, etc) seems like a good idea
> to me, naively speaking. But my guess is that no one will ever actually sit
> down & design a 'real' stable API here & we'll continue to play the same
> games of making vague guesses at what things we can bake it - and sometimes
> regret it & break the API in some way (either semantically (see old JIT
> APIs that are now noops) or syntactically).

I don't think that this is going to work for what Jim's been suggesting as
far as leaving the C API in place since some of what we'd remove are things
like thin wrappers around C++ API functions that I'm sure are being used
for things like IR creation. In general, these things have been pretty
stable and I don't actually expect that to change, but if we want to open
up things like debug info and most of the rest of the APIs then we'll want
to do so. Having all of our internal enums and APIs exposed via the
existing C API is going to make it fairly hard to work with as the surface
area expands. Ultimately I think it's hard to draw the line with the
existing API.

> If the existing one already has a fuzzy implicit contract that some things
> in there aren't /really/ stable - then we can easily rip those out & move
> them into a proper unstable API?

Given that just about the entire API is simply a wrapper around C++ the
entire thing fits under the "proper unstable API" aspect. But in general we
could probably define anything that looks like unwrap(thing)->call() as an
"unstable" API perhaps? This might be overly broad, but it's a starting
point for discussion?

-eric