[LLVMdev] The Trouble with Triples

Daniel Sanders Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com
Wed Jul 29 17:17:39 PDT 2015

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

> I'm not sure I agree with the basic idea of using the target triple as a way of
> encoding all of the pieces of target data as a string. I think in a number of
> cases what we need to do is either open up API to the back end to specify things,
> or encode the information into the IR when it's different from the generic triple.
> Ideally the triple will have enough information to do basic layout and anything
> else can be either gotten from the IR or passed via option.

(from the context, you might have meant 'tuple' where you've written 'triple'. I'm answering based on the assumption you meant 'triple')

The GNU triple is already used as a way of encoding a large amount of the target data in a string but unfortunately, while this data is passed throughout LLVM, it isn't reliable because GNU triples are ambiguous and inconsistent. For example, in GCC toolchains mips-linux-gnu probably means a MIPS target on Gnu/Linux but anything beyond that (ISA revision, default ABI, multilib layout, etc.) is up to the person who built the toolchain and may change over time. Another example is that Debian's definition for i386-linux-gnu has been i486 and i586 at various points in time.

The proposed TargetTuple is a direct replacement for the GNU triple and is intended to resolve this ambiguity and move away from a string-based implementation (we need to keep a string serialization though, see below). Essentially, I'm trying to push the ambiguity out of the internals and give the distributor control of how the ambiguity is resolved for their environment. Once that is done, we'll be able to rely on the TargetTuple for information about the target such as ABI's, architecture revisions, endianness, etc.

I agree that we should open up the API to specify the appropriate data and that is something that TargetTuple will acquire during step 4 and 7 of the plan (mostly step 7 where compiler/tool options begin mutating the target tuple). I don't agree with keeping the GNU triple around though for two main reasons. The first is that most people believe that GNU triples accurately describe the target and there will be a strong temptation to inappropriately base logic on them. The second is that the meaning of the triple varies between toolchain builds and over time and there is a significant potential for bugs where different parts of the toolchain use different meanings for the same GNU triple (due to rebuilding or switching toolchains, or moving objects from system to system). We ought to resolve the ambiguity once and then stick to that interpretation.

The string serialization I mentioned above is useful for LLVM-IR as part of a direct replacement for the 'target triple' statement. We could split this statement up into smaller pieces but the migration to target tuples is already difficult so I think it would be best to do a direct replacement first and redesign the IR statements later if we want to. The serialization is also useful for command line options on internal tools such as llc to give us precise control over our tests that the GNU triple can't deliver. This will be particularly important when distributors can apply their own disambiguations to GNU triples. The serialization may also be useful as part of a C API but I haven't given the C API much thought beyond preserving the current API.

Hopefully, that helps clear up your concerns. Let me know if there's anything that still seems strange.

> My suggestion on a route forward here is that we should look at the particular
> API and areas of the backend that you're having an issue with and figure out
> how to best communicate the data you'd like to the appropriate area. I realize
> this probably seems a little vague and handwavy, but I don't know what areas
> you've been having problems with lately. I'll absolutely help with this effort if
> you need assistance or guidance in any way.

The MIPS specific problems are broad and varied. Some of the bigger ones are:
* Building clang on a 32-bit Debian and a 64-bit MIPS processor produces a compiler that cannot target the native system. The release packages work around this by 'cross-compiling' from the host triple to the target triple which are different strings (mips-linux-gnu vs mips64-linux-gnu) but have the same meaning.
* It's not possible to produce a clang that can generate code for both 32-bit and 64-bit MIPS without one of them needing a -target option to change the GNU triple. This is because we based the logic on the triple and lack anything else to use.
* Various details (ELF headers, label prefixes, exception personality, JIT target, etc.) depend on the ABI and OS Distribution rather than just 32-bit vs 64-bit
* It's not possible to implement clang in a way that can support all of mips-linux-gnu's possible meanings. mips-mti-linux-gnu, and mips-img-linux-gnu have the same problem to a lesser degree.