[LLVMdev] Request: Changing commit message in llvm trunk

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Wed Jul 29 09:38:37 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Martell Malone <martellmalone at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for all the feedback guys
>
> So rather than speculating about what could and might not break.
>
> I am going to test all these different scenarios by creating my own svn
> server, svn mirror and git mirror etc
> I'll get back to you all with details on what breaks and what doesn't soon
> with changing the commit msgs
>
> Many Thanks
> Martell

Even if you do discover some way to make git-svn mirrors support updates to
past commit messages, I'm not sure we'd want to use it. I think most people
would rather keep the history simple.

People make bad commits to LLVM all the time, and there's nothing wrong
with that. The normal way we deal with it is to revert the change and
commit it again with a fix. Bad commit messages aren't really that
different from bad code, and they can be fixed the same way. :)