[LLVMdev] Purpose of LLVM_ENABLE_LIBCXX and LLVM_ENABLE_LIBCXXABI

Martell Malone martellmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 05:40:58 PDT 2015

Hi Renato

I had the impression that Michael actually wanted the latter, like GCC
> has autoconf options to change the default behaviour of the compiler
> at build time.
>
> I may be wrong, though.

yes I thought that was what he wanted because he said

Are they used to indicate that if the C/C++ compiler for building LLVM is
> clang

That combined with the standard cmake flags cmake_cxx_compiler and
cmake_c_compiler should result in the host being clang and using libc++ and
libc++abi
I was a little thrown off by the wording of the question
I think you are more correct though I misread the second part of the
question where he said what he actually wanted the resulting compiler to
use libc++
Sorry for the noise

Michael

In short Michael it should not matter if clang was build with libc++ or
libstdc++ the resulting compiler can use both after the fact
As Renato described above in more detail LDFLAGS="--stdlib=libc++ -lc++abi
-lunwind" would be used to tell that resulting compiler to link its
programs with libc++, libc++abi and libunwind
Rather than using libstdc++ and libgcc_eh

If you want to know how to change the default to do this without touching
the LDFLAGS for your target this you must look in the clang repo under
lib/driver
If you have any trouble doing this I'd be glad to help you change the
default behavior if let me know what your target is.

Kind Regards
Martell