[LLVMdev] [LLD] support for dlltool generated libs in COFF/PECOFF

Martell Malone martellmalone at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 17:24:00 PDT 2015

> It's doable to support dlltool-style import libraries by LLD. .idata
> sections in dlltool-style libraries are designed so that they will
> naturally construct the import descriptor table by just sorting them by
> section name. Supporting them is not hard.

I don't really know my way around the code base of COFF well enough todo
this myself.
If you can point me in the right direction as to what functions/sources to
be looking at I think I can come up with a patch.
If you think you can do it fairly easily I can also create a test case for
you if you want ?

One thing we need to do is that currently we construct the import
> descriptor directly from short import libraries. We don't create
> intermediate .idata$X sections from short import libraries. That means we
> cannot mix dlltool-style and short import libraries at this moment. We need
> to do something for that. Except that, supporting dlltool-style libraries
> should be straightforward.

This is a very unique scenario and I don't know of any tool that generates
both styles of libraries.
I can create one if we need it for a test case but I think this would be
overkill :)