[LLVMdev] Intel asm syntax and variable names

Yatsina, Marina marina.yatsina at intel.com
Thu Jul 23 09:12:04 PDT 2015

Microsoft assembler treats mov to EAX as a register, even if there is a global memory also named EAX – meaning the register takes precedence.
But here I have a bit of a different situation – I have a global variable, which name happens to match an implicit register or a register that does not exist in the current arch, just in future ones. Microsoft assembler treats these cases as memory locations, llvm treats them as registers, causing compilation errors.