[LLVMdev] [RFC] Defining Infinite Loops

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Tue Jul 21 19:33:21 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

I think Philip's/Sanjoy's point is that, unless we're specifically inserting a new loop, we can always just add the metadata. Is that correct? Do we need to be careful here when, for example, LoopSimplify separates nested loops not to always add the metadata to the inner loop?

> Whereas
> the reverse problem of determining that an infinite loop must remain
> is relatively easy. We *already* have to scan the loop instructions
> executed to draw conclusions such as this, and so it would be very
> natural to discover the intrinsic that is a sigil.

But this is the same, no? You need to scan all of the instructions, but you need to also check the branches for the lack of the metadata.

> I'm sure I'm somewhat biased here, and its hard for me to discount
> that, but I feel like the more basic model of as-if is one that
> doesn't view infinite loops as having observable side-effects, and
> that it is easier to graft a model for representing those
> side-effects for languages which expect them than it is to annotate
> the cases where the stronger guarantee holds.

I agree with this.

> One significant advantage of using the intrinsic is precisely the
> similarity with llvm.assume that Hal mentioned. We can and should
> start to unify the handling of these so that we don't actually pay a
> complexity cost proportional to the number of these that exist.

I also agree that this is an advantage, at least in the medium- to long-term.

 -Hal