[LLVMdev] why LoopUnswitch pass does not constant fold conditional branch and merge blocks

Chen Li meloli87 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 22:17:27 PDT 2015

> On Jul 17, 2015, at 2:45 PM, Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com> wrote:
>
> Adding folding of constant branches to the unswitcher seems likes it would be a perfectly reasonable enhancement.  For context, it's worth restating that the unswitcher is used in trivial-only mode in the standard O2 pipeline.  We only enable non-trivial unswitch if -O3 is specified.
>
> The complication I'd watch out for is that folding such branches might eliminate the loop entirely.  The unswitcher clearly already has to handle the case of "1 loop -> 1 loop + 1 non-loop", but I'm not sure it would correctly handle "1 loop -> 2 non-loops". In particular, I'm not sure what the interaction with the LoopPassManager is here.  Taking a look at LoopDeletionPass might be a good source of information.

Thinking about it further, I don’t think it’s possible to eliminate the loop entirely. Loop unswtich applies on conditional branch and splits the original loop to 2 loops based on *true* condition and *false* condition of the branch (by *true* I mean the branch goes into the loop, and *false* to exit the loop). For trivial cases, folding the *false* condition will eliminate the loop, but folding the *true* condition will create an infinite loop with an unconditional branch to the loop header. So I don’t think this should be a problem for LoopPassManager. I will take a deep look at both LoopDeletionPass and SimplifyCode function in LoopUnswitch.

thanks,
chen