[LLVMdev] Strange Makefile Errors

Peter Finn peterdfinn at icloud.com
Sat Jul 18 14:46:47 PDT 2015

I’m trying to make sure Clang works with LLVM Mainline and SAFECode specifically.  To that end, I’ve replaced the llvm_objdir/projects/safecode/tools/clang with Clang Mainline, and I’ve tried to compile it.  However, I get the strangest error:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../../../../Makefile.common'.  Stop.

What’s strange about it is that the only time (in this Makefile or any of its included files) that a “Makefile.common” is referenced, it’s not got that directory path.  The file is included as follows:

include $(LEVEL)/Makefile.common

LEVEL is defined as $(CLANG_LEVEL)/../../.., and CLANG_LEVEL is defined as . (that is, the same directory as the Makefile).  The way my local repository is organized, Makefile.common is located at ./../../../Makefile.common, not ../../../../Makefile.common, as the error indicates is being included (or attempted at being included).

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks,
Peter Finn