[LLVMdev] [RFC] Defining Infinite Loops

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Jul 16 00:33:21 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 12:27 AM Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> [...]

The target of every goto.

For computed goto, very label whose address is taken.

This at least doesn't seem that bad to me.

> Before every branch will be conservatively correct, but I'm worried that
> will unnecessarily block optimizations. They'd also be needed at the entry
> to every function.

Only external, address taken, or internal-and-recursively-called functions.
All of which we already have some blockers to optimization, so this part
i'm not worried about.

> On the other hand, maybe if we added an optimization that removed these
> things along any control-flow path that already had any other side effect,
> it might not be too bad?

Absolutely, much like lower-expect, we'd need to make sure that easy cases
were folded quickly in the optimizer so this didn't get out of hand.

> > As for why I'm particularly interested in this being a property of
> > the loop, consider if you were to have a mixture of Java and C++
> > code, all compiled to LLVM. How do you inline between them?
> >

> You add the attribute to the caller.

This has the really unfortunate side effect of pessimizing code during
cross language optimizations.

> FWIW, I suspect I might care a lot about this particular case (because I
> believe that Fortran has defined behavior for infinite loops).

Yea, you could argue that C does too, which is one reason why I'm so
interested in this being done really well even in an LTO situation.

I think it would be really useful to not have this cross between adjacent
loops after inlining when they come from different source languages, and it
would be nice for it to not apply to nested loops when those nested loops
were inlined from a language without this guarantee.

But I'm still not convinced that the noise of the intrinsic is *definitely*
worth it. I come from the background of the C++ rules' rationale, and so I
naturally see the languages that define this as giving up optimizations and
so wanting to localize the impact of that... Not sure that's actually the
right perspective though. ;]