[LLVMdev] Register pressure mechanism in PRE or Smarter rematerialization/split/spiller/coalescing ?

Daniel Berlin dberlin at dberlin.org
Wed Jul 15 13:10:35 PDT 2015

IMHO, This doesn't make a lot of sense to turn off this part on it's own.
I would just use the enable-pre flag to turn off scalar PRE, as it
will cause the same issue in other cases as well.
Is there some reason you aren't just doing that?
I suspect if this is a performance win, that would be as well.

Also note that you will have the same problem as GVN/EarlyCSE/etc
becomes smarter, as these are full redundancies being eliminated (IE
there is no insertion happening). It just happens that PRE notices
them and GVN doesn't, because GVN is dominator based and PRE is not.
A slightly smarter GVN/EarlyCSE would do the same thing.

Given what you are saying, you are also suggesting we are not
rematerializing addressing computations where it is cheaper to do so.
That seems pretty critical to good RA :P