[LLVMdev] Stale SCEV pointer to deleted AssumptionCache

Steve King steve at metrokings.com
Wed Jul 15 12:24:46 PDT 2015

The the problem is solved by ScalarEvolution specifying that required
passes are transitive, i.e. have matching the lifetime.  This prevents
passes being prematurely deleted and thus prevents the dangling raw
pointers.
I submitted a patch: http://reviews.llvm.org/D11236

Using long lived raw pointers to unique_ptr data owned by another pass
is very uncomfortable.  We currently cannot even catch this case in an
assert().  I'm always astonished at how well deleted memory works in
practice, which only makes these problems tougher to debug.

Cheers,
-steve