[LLVMdev] runtime pass

Stephen Thomas stephen.warner.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 12:20:54 PDT 2015

Marwa,

By "runtime", are you referring to the runtime of opt? If so, I assume your
question is about how to make sure certain passes run before your pass
runs, so that their results are available to your pass. The "Writing an
LLVM Pass" doc has a nice section on the interaction between passes:

http://llvm.org/docs/WritingAnLLVMPass.html#specifying-interactions-between-passes

Alternatively, if by "runtime", you are referring to the runtime of the
application under analysis, then that's trickier. LLVM is designed to run
analysis and transformation passes at compilation time, not runtime. So it
depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to profile the
application to, e.g., gather values of certain variables, that's certainly
possible by first writing a transformation pass that instruments the IR
with calls at certain points in the target application.

Cheers,
Steve