[LLVMdev] GlobalsModRef (and thus LTO) is completely broken

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Tue Jul 14 11:53:08 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Xinliang David Li" <xinliangli at gmail.com>

We have this already.

> b) If instcombine or any other pass for any reason introduces on one
> path an instruction that GetUnderlyingObject can't look through
> (select, phi, load, ....), we incorrectly conclude no-alias. This is
> what addEscapingUse was intended to solve, but we would literally
> have to call it from every pass because we can't rely on analysis
> invalidation!
>

> I am not sure if this matters. If a pointer is loaded from the
> memory, then either pointer points to heap or the the underlying
> object is address taken. For the phi case, I wonder what
> transformation can introduce it while the original source construct
> does not escape/addr-take the global already.

The problem is determining whether both pointers derive from the same global. For that, you need to track dependencies through loads/stores. You could, however, just give up on those cases.

> c) If any pass actually escapes a pointer from one function into
> another, we invalidate the underlying assumption of
> 'non-address-taken' that it relies upon.
>

> This can probably happen with function outlining etc.

Yes, exactly (and this is why I said we'd likely have such things in the future). As Chandler pointed out, our instrumentation passes already do this as well.

 -Hal