[LLVMdev] Windows interface for clang

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 18:18:15 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 2:00 AM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>
wrote:

> This seems more relevant to cfe-dev.

Okay.

> You seem to be struggling with the need to name the binary 'cl.exe'. Last
> time I checked, we installed clang-cl.exe under that name in a specialized
> director specifically so you can use build systems relying on that name.

Right, but:

1. The existence of a binary named cl.exe isn't enough; depending on the
circumstances, the build system may look specifically in the visual studio
directory. Of course, you could do the rename/copy by hand, but it's better
to have it automated, particularly since in practice there is a need to
switch back and forth.

2. Python at least needs to have it switchable specifically for 32-bit or
64-bit builds.

3. wic also supplies the option -Wno-invalid-token-paste which is necessary
for compatibility with the Microsoft preprocessor. I intend adding other
options as needed.

4. Hopefully can also substitute calls to the llvm linke when that's ready
for prime time.