[LLVMdev] The Trouble with Triples

Daniel Sanders Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com
Wed Jul 8 09:43:45 PDT 2015

This reminded me of something I noticed in passing and haven't investigated yet. I think TargetRegistry::lookupTarget(const std::string &ArchName, Triple&, std::string&) can do this kind of thing when ArchName is a registered architecture but is not understood by Triple::getArchTypeForLLVMName(). I haven't had chance to try it but it looks like you'd get the intended target architecture without updating the triple to match (so x86_64-linux-gnu could target a completely different architecture).

> > This configure-by-source-patch approach seems to make
> > some people uncomfortable so we may have to find another way to
> configure
> > the triples (tablegen?).
>
> Another option that would make *all* distributions happy would be to
> adopt the same approach as GCC and have CMake options for default ABI
> choices.
>
> This would be harder to implement, but we can hide the mess under a
> separate class (TargetABI?). I actually prefer this solution to either
> tablegen or patch-sets.

I can see a way to make the CMake option approach work nicely for native. The constructor can check for the default triple and apply the effects of the CMake options to it. I don't think there's a good way to support the multiple triples or heterogenous use cases via CMake options but support for that was more a happy coincidence rather than intentional design.

If we take this route, I'm hoping I don't need to do autoconf since I don't know it very well.

> > a.       Maintain backwards compatibility with IR using triples, at least
> > for a while.
>
> Probably forever... :(
>
> Again, this can be isolated in TargetABI or some other place.

As far as I know there is no backwards compatibility promise, but equally it doesn't seem reasonable to give no notice before removing it. I'm therefore thinking that we can deprecate it in one release (3.7 or 3.8), then remove it in the next.