[LLVMdev] Load MachineFunctionPass plugin from library in llc?

Ethan J. Johnson ejohns48 at cs.rochester.edu
Mon Jul 6 21:48:40 PDT 2015

Good to know – thanks! It has indeed been working for me. Anecdotally, I can’t say it’s helped too much with build times – now it just takes a long time building “libX”, instead of X; but it does feel a little bit faster.

Maybe my observations are a bit misleading since building shared libraries consolidates a lot of code into a single linker product, rendering “make –jX” multithreading less effective. It spends a lot of time “bottlenecked” on linking big things like libclang: it launches a wave of linker tasks, and most of them finish quickly, leaving a single “big” task holding things up at the end. “make” has to wait for it to complete before it can launch a new wave of parallel build tasks (whether compiling, linking, etc.). I’m not sure if this is because of dependencies between components, or perhaps just because “make” isn’t very smart about multithreading. Maybe CMake would be smarter here? Or perhaps ninja?

I should be able to improve build times more by disabling the unit tests – I noticed those are responsible for a good portion of the time spent on linking (they don’t seem to use the shared libraries), and since I’m just writing an analysis pass which doesn’t actually modify anything, checking for regressions in the rest of LLVM isn’t so important (not at this stage anyway).

Thanks again,

Ethan Johnson