[LLVMdev] [lld] Current ways to position memory sections (e.g. .text, .data, .bss) with lld?

Rafael Auler rafaelauler at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 20:29:02 PDT 2015

Hi Ed,

It looks like lld is failing at mapping two sections far apart from each
other into two different segments. Since it puts these two sections (.text
and .data) in the same ELF segment, the segment is forced to be huge
because the start addresses of these sections are far apart from each
other. I would begin by investigating how
TargetLayout<ELFT>::assignSectionsToSegments() works and go from there.
This function lives at lld/lib/ReaderWriter/ELF/TargetLayout.cpp. I don't
believe you can try any other flags to try to get this done without fixing
this logic.

Rafael Auler