[LLVMdev] C as used/implemented in practice: analysis of responses

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 11:24:13 PDT 2015

Not all code needs to be moved between compilers.

That having been said, if my proposal were implemented, you would still be
perfectly free to tell people 'you're doing it wrong, you shouldn't
actually depend on things the standard doesn't cover' (even though in
practice, people use compiler extensions, system specific code and suchlike
all the time, and nobody seems to think this is a reason such things
shouldn't be provided).

Even if you want to have the compiler warn at compile time about code that
depends on undefined behaviour (in cases where it can deduce that such is
occurring), that's okay.

But having programs miscompiled so that they silently fail, in many cases
starting only years after the code in question was written, is very much
not okay. That's far worse than documented portability problems.