[LLVMdev] Adding PDB support to lib\DebugInfo

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Thu Jan 29 11:04:35 PST 2015

On Thu Jan 29 2015 at 10:51:54 AM Adrian Prantl <aprantl at apple.com> wrote:

> Sounds generally good. Not knowing much about PDB; are there any plans to
> have some kind of unified interface between dwarf and pdb (don’t know if
> that makes sense), or will they be kept separate?

I kind of don't think it makes sense, or at the very least would be
difficult.  It might be possible and useful to eventually come up with a
unified interface that provides a small subset of the functionality, but
the two formats don't really map that well to each other, so it would end
up being a least common denominator of the functionality.  I don't
understand DWARF and PDB well enough yet to know exactly how big of a
subset that least common denominator is, but I suspect it will be somewhat
limited.

So at least in the short term, I think it makes the most sense to keep them
separate, and then in the future potentially have a separate effort to
create a unified interface, while still leaving the native interfaces
available for use.