[LLVMdev] Adding PDB support to lib\DebugInfo

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Thu Jan 29 10:20:11 PST 2015

I've been working on adding pdb reading support to llvm.  This started as a
tool for dumping info from a pdb (similar to llvm-dwarfdump), which has
been checked in and currently has limited support for dumping pdb.

There's still more to be done on the pdb dumping tool, but at this point --
to reduce duplicated effort -- I think it makes the most sense to start
moving some of this logic into a library in llvm, and then change
llvm-pdbdump to use the library.  Later, once the library is more
comprehensive, I plan to then use it in LLDB for reading PDBs while
debugging on Windows.

I think the best way to do this is to move all of the code in lib/DebugInfo
to lib/DebugInfo/dwarf, and then make another folder called
lib/DebugInfo/pdb.   These would then be compiled into two separate
libraries.

Another approach is to just put the PDB code in the same folder as the
dwarf code, but I don't like this approach for a number of reasons:

1) Not every consumer of DebugInfo wants both types of DebugInfo.
2) The pdb reading code relies *very heavily* on Windows APIs, and will not
compile on other platforms.  This is solvable with some CMake machinery,
but it's ugly and unwarranted in my opinion.

So as a first step in this direction I'd like to propose moving the code in
lib/DebugInfo to lib/DebugInfo/dwarf, and then updating the rest of llvm
accordingly.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Suggestions?
Zach