[LLVMdev] Should llvm include a linker?

Greg Fitzgerald garious at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 10:01:43 PST 2015

I've been thinking about how easy it would be to integrate lld into
the main llvm repo:

1) Preserve history with: `svnadmin load --parent-dir tools/lld . < lld.dump`
2) Move lld's target-specific libraries up to `lib/Target`, and
remaining libraries up to `lib`.
3) Move everything from the lld namespace to the llvm namespace.

But would it be valuable?  I'd think that non-C, llvm-based compilers
like GHC or Rust would have the most to gain.  Anybody else see value
in it?  Maybe those that maintain the Target directories?

In your response, let's please avoid discussion about coding
conventions and sanitizer builds.  Assume that's all resolved before
this integration is considered.

Thanks,
Greg