[LLVMdev] IR extension proposal: bitset constants

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Jan 28 16:53:49 PST 2015

So, bitset would be a property that means : globals with the same name will
append on a string of bits in the order in which they appear, and it's the
job of the front end to make sure the correct order is followed in every
unit, so that linking does the right job in every corner case?

Could that be used for efficient global boolean flags, like LLVM's options?
Even if you don't need the range check, you get the bit mask check for
free.

I'm trying to find other uses to help you in the case to make this into a
first class citizen, not metadata.

Cheers,
Renato