[LLVMdev] RFC: Native Windows C++ exception handling

Kaylor, Andrew andrew.kaylor at intel.com
Tue Jan 27 12:58:31 PST 2015

Thanks, Reid.   These are good points.

So I guess that does take us back to something more like my original proposal.

I like your suggestion of having some kind of “eh.actions” intrinsic to represent the outlining rather than the extension to landingpad that I had proposed.  I was just working on something like that in conjunction with my second alternative idea.

What I’d really like is to have the “eh.actions” intrinsic take a shape that makes it really easy to construct the .xdata table directly from these calls.  As I think I mentioned in my original post, I think I have any idea for how to reconstruct functionally correct eh states (at least for synchronous EH purposes) from the invoke and landingpad instructions.  I would like to continue, as in my original proposal, limiting the unwind representations to those that are unique to a given landing pad.  I think with enough documentation I can make that seem sensible.

I’ll start working on a revised proposal.  Let me know if you have any more solid ideas.

-Andy