[LLVMdev] RFC: Native Windows C++ exception handling

Kaylor, Andrew andrew.kaylor at intel.com
Mon Jan 26 18:23:28 PST 2015

For the sake of putting a more-or-less concrete alternative on the table, here’s a possible way that we could structure the IR generated by the front end that would allow us to create the necessary .xdata tables and outline the handlers.  I haven’t thought this through as thoroughly as I did my previous proposal, but I think it is basically sound and it only requires a bunch of new intrinsics.  Something additional would be needed to represent the form of the .xdata after outlining, but that’s an easy detail to work out if this seems like a preferable approach.

void test()
{
  try {
    Outer outer;
    try {
      Inner inner;
      do_inner_thing();
    } catch (int) {
      handle_int();
    }
  } catch (float) {
    handle_float();
  }
  keep_going();
}

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; IR to be generated by clang
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

; Function Attrs: uwtable
define void @_Z4testv() #0 {
entry:
  %outer = alloca %class.Outer, align 1
  %inner = alloca %class.Inner, align 1
  call void @llvm.eh.setehstate(i32 0)
  call void @_ZN5OuterC1Ev(%class.Outer* %outer)
  call void @llvm.eh.setehstate(i32 1)
  call void @llvm.eh.setehstate(i32 2)
  call void @_ZN5InnerC1Ev(%class.Inner* %inner)
  call void @llvm.eh.setehstate(i32 3)
  call void @_Z14do_inner_thingv()
  call void @llvm.eh.setehstate(i32 2)
  call void @_ZN5InnerD1Ev(%class.Inner* %inner)
  br label %catch.2.dest

catch.1.dest:
  call void @llvm.eh.setehstate(i32 1)
  call void @_ZN5OuterD1Ev(%class.Outer* %outer)
  br label %catch.0.dest

catch.2.dest:
  call void @llvm.eh.setehstate(i32 0)
  call void @llvm.eh.setehstate(i32 -1)
  call void @_Z10keep_goingv()
  %2 = call i1 @llvm.eh.exceptionstate.placeholder()
  br i1 %2, label %eh.normal, label %unwind.handlers

eh.normal:
  ret void

unwind.handlers:
  %unwind.state = call i32 @llvm.eh.getunwindstate()
  br label %unwind.dispatch

unwind.dispatch:
  %4 = icmp eq i32 %unwind.state, 1
  br i1 %4, label %unwind.handler.1, label %unwind.dispatch.1

unwind.handler.1:
  call void @_ZN5OuterD1Ev(%class.Outer* %outer)
  unreached ; This is an arbitrary terminator to help with outlining.

unwind.dispatch:
  %5 = icmp eq i32 %unwind.state, 3
  br i1 %5, label %unwind.handler.3, label %catch.handlers

unwind.handler.3:
  call void @_ZN5InnerD1Ev(%class.Inner* %inner)
  unreached ; This is an arbitrary terminator to help with outlining.

catch.handlers:
  %catch.state = call i32 @llvm.eh.getcatchstate()
  br label %catch.dispatch

catch.dispatch.1:
  %6 = icmp sge i32 %catch.state, 2
  br i1 %6, label %catch.1.lower.true, label %catch.dispatch.2

catch.1.lower.true
  %7 = icmp sle i32 %catch.state, 3
  br i1 %7, label %catch.1.state.matches, label %catch.dispatch.2

catch.1.state.matches:
  %8 = call i32 @llvm.eh.typeid.for(i8* bitcast (i8** @_ZTIi to i8*))
  %9 = call i32 @llvm.eh.getcatchselector()
  %10 = icmp eq %8, %9
  br i1 %10, label %catch.1.handler, label %catch.dispatch.2

catch.1.handler:
  call void @llvm.eh.setehstate(i32 4)
  call void @_Z10handle_intv()
  br catch.1.dest

catch.dispatch.2:
  %12 = icmp sge i32 %catch.state, 0
  br i1 %12, label %catch.2.lower.true, label %catch.nomatch

catch.2.lower.true
  %13 = icmp sle i32 %catch.state, 4
  br i1 %13, label %catch.2.state.matches, label %catch.nomatch

catch.2.state.matches:
  %14 = call i32 @llvm.eh.typeid.for(i8* bitcast (i8** @_ZTIf to i8*))
  %15 = call i32 @llvm.eh.getcatchselector()
  %16 = icmp eq %14, %15
  br i1 %16, label %catch.2.handler, label %catch.nonmatch

catch.2.handler:
  call void @llvm.eh.setehstate(i32 5)
  call void @_Z12handle_floatv()
  br catch.2.dest