[LLVMdev] [lld] Removal of ELF PowerPC port

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu
Mon Jan 26 09:58:40 PST 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Will Newton <will.newton at linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The PowerPC ELF backend of LLD is not in a particularly good state. It
> supports one relocation, has one test, and it does not seem to have
> received any commits other than tree-wide refactors since it was
> initially committed. It is also structured slightly differently to the
> other backends which means that refactoring patches that touch all the
> backends are made more difficult.
>
> Is anyone interested in maintaining this backend or would it be better
> to remove it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Will Newton
> Toolchain Working Group, Linaro

Hi Will,

I've done some minimal work privately (no tests, so can't push it), on
the PowerPC ELF backend.  If it makes it easier to refactor, I don't
mind blowing it away, and starting it over.  We could probably rebase
it from the MIPS backend in the future, which looks fairly complete.

So, my vote is whatever makes it easier in the long run, since it can
be resurrected pretty easily (not much work done anyway).

- Justin