[LLVMdev] [RFC] Heuristic for complete loop unrolling

Michael Zolotukhin mzolotukhin at apple.com
Fri Jan 23 14:20:55 PST 2015

> On Jan 23, 2015, at 1:27 PM, James Molloy <james at jamesmolloy.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
Hi James,

> This looks very much like the inner loops from convolve() in Geekbench... ;)
Yes, the original example was from Geekbench, but I wasn’t sure if I can copy it:)

> Interestingly if we reroll that loop nest, the number of instructions inside goes down by a factor of 3 so we do decide to inline them all. But that is just luck / a hack. I completely agree that our current unrolling heuristics don't take the right things into account (our inlining heuristics are similar!).
>
> When thinking about this previously, I've been worried that there's a slippery slope where you could end up implementing half of the rest of the compiler's analysis passes in the unroller/inliner to check for opportunities. Do you have any thoughts on that? How do we keep it under control?
That’s a valid point. Theoretically, I think the best solution here would be to run remaining passes in ‘sand-box’ mode and decide what to do basing on what this run shows. But it’s hard to tell when to stop in these sand-box runs: Should we just run const-prop+InstCombine? Should we try other loop optimizations after that? Should we run all passes including backend (e.g. unrolling will have a huge impact on scheduling, so it could really be interesting)? And in any case, it would be quite compile-time expensive.

So, right now it seems to me that the best solution is to model future optimizations by (hopefully simple) heuristics. I don’t think that we should worry much that the code reminds const-prop, or another simple pass. However, if we try to reimplement a vectorizer, or, say SROA, inside our heuristic, then probably something is wrong. As I said, we should either model such passes with simple heuristics, or we should think about interfaces in these passes that would allow to execute dry-runs.

E.g. another possible heuristic for unroller would be the following: if after unrolling all loads/stores are consecutive, then it’s beneficial to unroll, because the code will be probably vectorized by SLP later. That’s a simple heuristic, and in some cases it will give a wrong advice. We can either accept it, or add an interface to SLP so that it'll answer whether it can vectorize an instructions sequence or not. That would be the second way, more accurate but more expensive.

In some cases the first approach would be acceptable, in others - the second, and I think that should be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Michael