[LLVMdev] git-svn authorship

Greg Fitzgerald garious at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 17:58:03 PST 2015

> But as I said in my previous message, I think that would require the
> committer has some specific access right on the svn server to override
> the name that is normally got from the authentication protocol

On the SVN side, it's just a convention in the commit message (From:
<arbitrary_text>).  The SVN author is unchanged and becomes what Git
calls "committer".  With '--use-log-author', git-svn then recognizes
SVN commits following that convention and uses that From text to set
the Author field in the Git commit.

I've been testing this stuff locally - works great!  I sent an email
to llvm-admin to see if we can get '--use-log-author' added to the git
mirror's invocation of "git svn fetch".  If that goes to plan, I'll
update "docs/GettingStarted.rst" to describe how to apply patches on
behalf of others, such that you don't git blamed.

-Greg