[LLVMdev] Howdy + GIT

Reid Spencer reid at reactific.com
Fri Jan 16 05:38:38 PST 2015

Owen, and many others …

I do not wish to belabor this conversation as it distracts from everything else you all have to do.

The fact that llvm does have a synchronized repository on github is sufficient for me. I can fork it, hack on it, and keep it up to date as needed. If a change I make is sufficiently useful, I’ll just submit a patch.

The arguments about monotonically increasing revision number are, in my view, rather silly. That is not a very good reason for choosing or even staying with an SCM. There are stronger arguments for sticking with SVN.

The arguments about having a single line of change is valid, but SVN isn’t the only tool that supports that model. I’m in support of this approach as I use it on all my projects, including those using GIT.

I do understand that many automated processes are now built up around SVN and changing to git would be a huge effort with little to be gained.

In putting out my inquiry, I was concerned more about LLVM being sequestered off in a corner of the Internet and not having its code as easily available as on, say, github. Code access and brows ability is one of the things that fosters innovation. However, I get that switching would be a huge pain and that LLVM is by now a mature project where perhaps innovation is taking a back seat to maintaining a standard development model that its many existing developers have grown accustomed to.

So, let’s follow Owen’s suggestion and end the conversation about SCM choice and replace it with conversations about improving the development process. I for one will need to get back into that process before I can comment because it is clear that after 7 years, things just ain’t the same. :)

Best,

Reid.